CQJP 2014 – January Block

A few minutes ago, I hit send on the email submitting my first block for the CQJP 2014 challenge! Last night I was up late (couldn’t sleep) and I figured out the theme I wanted do for the challenge throughout the year, made my notes, then started adding the last few details to the block I had started a few days ago.

The “bare” block:

20140104-163951.jpg

The finished block:

20140104-164039.jpg

And of course, up close pictures with details below each. All embroidery threads used are DMC unless otherwise stated:

20140104-164144.jpg
The climbing roses are made with stem stitch and lazy daisies in 954 (sage), back stitched flowers in 718 (magenta), and a back stitched filled ribbon in 444 (bright yellow). The fancy fan uses buttonhole stitch and lazy daisies in 4211 (variegated purples) with some sparkly yellow beads.

20140104-164533.jpg
Back stitched hearts trickle down one side: 445 (yellow), 340 (periwinkle), 718 (magenta), 817 (scarlet), and 4211 (variegated purple). Along the seam I did a button hole stitch in 335 (dk salmon pink) with a dark purple open lazy daisy between every other ‘stem’ and pink beads.

20140104-164937.jpg
A small section on the block ended up being the perfect spot for a small five petal flower. Back stitched in 340 (periwinkle) with 3851 (medium sage) leaves.

20140104-165326.jpg
A spider web graces one corner of the block, done with a DMC perle cotton in silver 318. The spider was made using two brown beads and legs made with perle cotton in dark brown 938.
Also seen in this picture is a seam done with small red beaded flowers with lazy daisy leaves and stem stitched stems with perle cotton in variegated green 94.

 

20140104-170049.jpg

 

The word Love was done using my handwriting in a stem stitch with Perle Iris 5064, a variegated pink. The wavy border is also in stem stitch using DMC 4260, a variegated purple and pink mix.

The butterfly is mostly back stitch using 4022 (variegated blues). A flight path coming from the climbing roses is made with a running stitch in 747 (pale blue). Star stitches complete the last seam using 817 (scarlet).

I had fun with this block for the CQJP challenge. I haven’t worked too much with beads before and I found them to be a fun addition. And I’m already planning the next block!

About these ads

6 thoughts on “CQJP 2014 – January Block

    • Thanks! I almost have a second January block finished, so once it’s done I’ll be emailing the picture in and posting the details on my blog. :)

Comments are closed.