Tag Archive | needlepainting

Rip, Rip, Rip it Out

Ever start a project, have high hopes for it, get going and realize something just isn’t right?

That’s how my needlepainted butterfly has been.

I think butterflies are one of nature’s most amazing creatures (after cats, of course!). They are delicate, graceful, and come in beautiful colors. So, I finally decided to try to needlepaint one.

My original plan was to make my butterfly in blues and purples. Somehow I ended up picking out pinks instead.

I didn’t get very far.

A month later and it still looked like this. I couldn’t work on it any more. Something just wasn’t right.

Then it dawned on me. The color! In the back of my mind I was still wanting the blues and purples.

So Sunday night I started the fun of rip, rip, ripping out the stitches.

I’ll leave the outline even though it’s pink because it won’t show once the butterfly is filled in. Next step, picking out the colors I really want to use!

The funny thing is I’m working on a different needlepainting project (a rose) that’s also in pinks and I’m loving it. I guess the subject of the work has more impact on color than I realized.

Have you ripped anything out lately? Why? What went wrong? How will you change it?

Advertisements

Blue Hibiscus 

It’s Monday! And it is somehow 2018. How’d that happen? I wasn’t done with 2017 goals yet.  I should have made a list of them I guess so I could keep track of them and mark things off. 

I’m working on 2018’s goal list, but in the meantime I thought I would share something I made for a Christmas gift for my mom-in-law. 

This one was a bit different in how I had to do it because it didn’t have one petal that had the edges behind two other petals as a starting point.  Each petal has an overlap with another petal. 

I picked out my background, traced out my flower on sulky, and put it in a frame. 

Then I stitched my outline and removed the sulky. 

Next I filled in the leaves and stem with needlepainting. 

 At this point I had to decide how I was going to fill in the petals. I decided the easiest way was going to be circular, paying attention to the overlaps. 

For it being challenging, I’m very happy  with how it turned out. 

I think my favorite part is the French knots in the middle. 

 

Needlepainting: Iris and Rose

The iris I mentioned in my last post is finished! And I’m extremely happy with it.  It now hangs on the wall in our main bathroom.

After it was finished I was still in the mood to stitch, so I turned my attention to another flower that had been on my mind. A rainbow rose.  

I traced it onto sulky then stitched it on a black background. 

I did make some changes to the colors to go with what I had, but the rainbow rose worked up quickly. 

My next project was going to be needlepainting a small waterfall landscape. After studying some drawings I drew up a design, transferred, and outlined. And after a little bit of stitching realized it’s not the right project to hold my attention right now. 

What to do. What to do. 

Out came the hexies to play. 

150 basted. 10 stitched into twos. 71 to still baste. Then I’ll need to drag out some more fabric to cut up. 

Rose Trio – Update

After working my butt off the last few months or so, I finally have some good downtime to craft! I’ve made a quilt top (will appear in another post some day), finished another chemo hat, planted flowers, beaded a butterfly or two (another future post.  No real butterflies were harmed), and finally got back to work on my needlepainting embroidery. 

If you know me, you know I love needlepainting. Especially roses. 

At last update, I think we were about here on the Trio of Roses: 

The color part of each flower is now complete! I’m not happy with the red/pink one still, but I’ll worry about tinkering with that one once everything is done. 


Now on to filling in the leaves and stems!