One of my 2018 goals is to learn Woodburning. It’s a craft I’ve wanted to try since I was a kid. The local gallery in town had a class last weekend and of course, I made sure to be there!
The instructor used to be a teacher at my high school (we won’t talk about how long its been since I graduated). As I was wandering the gallery waiting for class time I heard a familiar voice behind me. My Aunt P and cousin E’s wife were there to take the class as well! Then my Aunt L and Uncle L walked in to take it as well.
I LOVE woodburning. It reminds me somewhat of embroidery. Slow, steady, and detail oriented.
Here’s my first piece:
I picked out my next project tonight. So far I have just the tracing done. Hopefully I can start burning it tomorrow.
I think I will also do one that matches the needlepainted iris I did a couple months ago.
Do you have a goal this year to learn a new craft?
It’s Monday! And it is somehow 2018. How’d that happen? I wasn’t done with 2017 goals yet. I should have made a list of them I guess so I could keep track of them and mark things off.
I’m working on 2018’s goal list, but in the meantime I thought I would share something I made for a Christmas gift for my mom-in-law.
This one was a bit different in how I had to do it because it didn’t have one petal that had the edges behind two other petals as a starting point. Each petal has an overlap with another petal.
I picked out my background, traced out my flower on sulky, and put it in a frame.
Then I stitched my outline and removed the sulky.
Next I filled in the leaves and stem with needlepainting.
At this point I had to decide how I was going to fill in the petals. I decided the easiest way was going to be circular, paying attention to the overlaps.
For it being challenging, I’m very happy with how it turned out.
I think my favorite part is the French knots in the middle.
The iris I mentioned in my last post is finished! And I’m extremely happy with it. It now hangs on the wall in our main bathroom.
After it was finished I was still in the mood to stitch, so I turned my attention to another flower that had been on my mind. A rainbow rose.
I traced it onto sulky then stitched it on a black background.
I did make some changes to the colors to go with what I had, but the rainbow rose worked up quickly.
My next project was going to be needlepainting a small waterfall landscape. After studying some drawings I drew up a design, transferred, and outlined. And after a little bit of stitching realized it’s not the right project to hold my attention right now.
What to do. What to do.
Out came the hexies to play.
150 basted. 10 stitched into twos. 71 to still baste. Then I’ll need to drag out some more fabric to cut up.
Now that this semester of work has calmed down and I’ve settled into my routine, my creative mood has kicked in again. I’ve been wanting to do another needle painting project.
But what? A bird? A deer? Another rose?
Well, last month with the way our weather has been we ended up with some surprise blooms in the flowerbed.
I looked online and found a drawing that was similar to this and used it to do an outline on fabric.
A big decision was colors. Purple? Blue? Pink? White alone doesn’t have enough variety to create one like the one in our flowerbed. So I grabbed my big box of threads, dug through, and picked out the following:
Feels good to be needle painting again!
2 years of on and off stitching on this, thousands upon thousands of stiches, probably 100+ hours total hand work, and my Rose Trio is finally done!
It turned out mostly as I imagined it. I did make a few changes along the way, adding in a couple more greens and a brown to the stems, and adding some extra stitches at the end to the pink rose to get it more in line with what I wanted. It’s amazing how a few stitches (or 20) can slightly change the look.
There are a few wrinkles I need to steam out then get it framed, but it is DONE! FINALLY!
Am I excited? You bet! Now to pick my next needlepainting project.
My current thoughts are drawing this out and needlepainting it:
Or doing this one as needlepainting:
Or a few other ideas that I have pictures of buried deep in the almost 3,000 pictures on my phone. Decisions.
After working my butt off the last few months or so, I finally have some good downtime to craft! I’ve made a quilt top (will appear in another post some day), finished another chemo hat, planted flowers, beaded a butterfly or two (another future post. No real butterflies were harmed), and finally got back to work on my needlepainting embroidery.
If you know me, you know I love needlepainting. Especially roses.
At last update, I think we were about here on the Trio of Roses:
The color part of each flower is now complete! I’m not happy with the red/pink one still, but I’ll worry about tinkering with that one once everything is done.
Now on to filling in the leaves and stems!
Well, it appears that the hexie bug has hit my house. No known cure. The symptoms can vary but may include looking at fabric in different ways, cutting out hexagon shaped pieces of paper, cutting out circles or hexagon pieces of fabric, mixing and matching the sewn pieces, and more.
My mom has been making hexies. Lots and lots of them (over 2,500 just for ONE project). I enjoyed arranging them, but resisted the bug.
The hexie bug did infect some of our friends. They started making their own hexie.
Then it happened. My immune system must have been compromised. The hexie bug hit. I grabbed fabric. I borrowed a hexie paper punch. I punched and cut and sewed.
My pile grew and grew.
Then! A project idea hit my brain!
I’ve been working on it here and there when I’ve had small breaks between clients.
I’m attaching the final round then I need to make a backing piece that fits this size, Sew them to batting, add darts, and it’ll turn into a hexie soup bowl cozie!